The Vector Institute is seeking a Director, Health Data Partnerships to join our growing team in Toronto.
Participate in development and maintenance of strong, value-enhancing relationships between Vector and health data holding organizations, policy makers, universities, research institutes, regulators, and advisors who bring in the patient perspective. Share accountability for the development and maintenance of agreements and partnerships related to data that enable high impact health-related artificial intelligence (AI) research.
In this key leadership role, you’ll act as Vector’s planning lead and primary day-to-day interface with external stakeholders who hold and/or provide access to health data in order to enable leading edge machine learning research. You will be a direct public-facing contact with many external health stakeholders including researchers, research institutes, companies, government ministries and agencies, and provincial and national organizations that hold health and health-related data. You will lead the implementation of elements of Vector’s Health Strategy and contribute to future strategic planning processes.
Employment Type: Full Time, Regular
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Vector’s health-related strategic and operational plans
- Noting that Vector will not hold health data, develop, support, and extend partnerships between Vector and data holding organizations and the leads of organizations that facilitate access to data
- Forge and maintain effective generative working relationships with organizations and individuals who have a strong interest in privacy, security and “social licence” for data-intensive research
- Coordinate and lead Vector’s contributions to the Health AI Data Analysis Platform (HAIDAP) and other Vector data infrastructure investments
- Contribute to provincial and national discussions on policies and practices that would increase the social and economic benefits that can be realized from health data
Key Success Measures
- Priority data infrastructure supported by Vector is built once then used many times for machine learning research, AI research more broadly, innovation, and health system improvement projects
- Health research stakeholder feedback, via informal and formal feedback mechanisms, validates that Vector investments in data infrastructure add value to the health research ecosystem
- Health AI research projects, led by Vector and others, turn health data into knowledge that improves health, health care and the health system
- Health data are available for machine learning and other AI studies that generate findings that help improve patient health outcomes
- Vector’s health AI research projects and health strategy contribute to the overall vision and mission of the Vector institute through close coordination with its research- and industry-related workstreams
Profile of The Ideal Candidate
- A research Master’s or PhD degree in a health discipline, or in a science, technology, mathematics, or engineering (STEM) discipline with a thesis focused on health
- Are currently in, or have previously held, a leadership role involving active engagement with health data holding organizations, regulators and/or organizations that are responsible for research health data infrastructure
- Experience in the development, implementation, and execution of data partnerships
- Demonstrates knowledge of constraints related to health data sharing, e.g., those under the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA)
- Has good knowledge of the data life cycle and the work required to assess promising data sources, prepare data (including linkage, cleaning and de-identification) and make data available for research purposes
- High tolerance for ambiguous environments and is able to drive progress in complex environments consisting of multiple stakeholders who often have differing goals
- Creative and enjoys working in a small entrepreneurial environment that is results-driven
- Exceptional verbal and written English communication skills, including effective engagement with diverse and senior research stakeholders
- Possesses a positive attitude, integrity, a sense of humour, and brings a positive energy and outlook to a not-for-profit corporate culture
- Is motivated by continuous learning and the desire to make a difference and a real contribution to the AI ecosystem
- Understands the opportunities for machine learning research to have an impact for patients, health care providers, and the health system broadly
- Would be laser-focused on bringing the transformative power of health AI research to knowledge users positioned to act on research findings
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send their CV with a covering letter to the attention of Catherine Kirby at Catherine.Kirby@vectorinstitute.ai
We thank all applicants for their interest in this exciting opportunity and will be in touch with those whose qualifications most closely match with our needs.
About the Vector Institute
The goal of the Vector Institute is simple: make Ontario – and Canada – a world leader in AI. A new, independent not-for-profit, Vector will help build out the AI ecosystem in Ontario, developing and attracting the world’s best machine learning and deep learning experts, and create an unrivalled convergence of research, investment, entrepreneurialism, and economic growth.