The Vector Institute invites applications from a broad spectrum of world-class research scientists, ranging from those who study and develop core algorithms to those who explore the applications to real-world problems.
Research Scientists at the Vector Institute are world-class machine learning researchers who have the unique opportunity to independently determine their own research agenda, with access to the resources of a well-funded institute dedicated to machine learning. They can supervise fully-funded graduate students from affiliated universities, and collaborate freely with the other members of the Institute. Research Scientists are engaged in state-of-the-art research, publish at the highest international level, and contribute to the academic life and reputation of the Institute. Qualified candidates will be encouraged to apply for university faculty affiliations.
FEATURES of Vector
The Vector Institute’s vision is to drive excellence in the creation of artificial intelligence, to use it to foster economic growth, and to improve the lives of Canadians. To that end, we have close ties to both academia and industry. This puts our Research Scientists in a unique position to contribute broadly. Successful contributions can range from developing core algorithmic techniques and theoretical analyses of machine learning algorithms, to working closely with companies and health organizations, to engaging in entrepreneurial activities.
The Vector Institute has extensive access to computing resources and datasets. Our professional software engineers improve researcher productivity through software platform development, ensuring research reproducibility, publishing open source code and data, and in readying code for commercial use. Our staff facilitates all aspects of engaging with Vector sponsors and affiliated institutions, as well as close ties to incubators for entrepreneurial activities.
On any given day, the Vector Institute houses over a hundred students, dozens of faculty members, and visitors. The daily life and concentration of expertise in the institute fosters collaboration and the exchange of ideas among its members through talks, seminar series, visitors, and tutorials.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
We are looking for people across a broad range of interests and levels of seniority. We encourage and support any combination of the following activities:
- Forming an academic research group, with students and postdocs, with limited teaching and grant-writing responsibilities.
- Co-founding or participating in an early-stage company.
- Working on real-world datasets and problems in hospitals, industry, non-profits, and/or other academic institutions.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in Computer Science, Statistics, Electrical Engineering, or closely related technical field. Postdoctoral experience is desirable.
- An excellent publication record in machine learning.
- Expertise in a core area of machine learning, such as deep, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning, optimization, and theory; and/or applied machine learning, such as natural language, health, vision, robotics, medicine, biology, transportation, media, and finance.
- Supervisory experience is an asset.
- Experience working with industry or in a startup environment is an asset.
The application must include the following:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Links to at least three recent publications
- Research statement
- Contact details of three references who can provide letters of recommendation upon request.
All application materials should be emailed to: email@example.com
We are actively hiring Research Scientists on an ongoing basis.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The Vector Institute encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including women, members of visible minorities, indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.