The Vector Institute is seeking an Administrative Coordinator to join our growing team in Toronto. Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, you will be responsible for providing administrative support for activities and events related to programming and operations at Vector, as well as linking the various faculty, students, and staff members.
Employment type: Regular, full-time
SELECT KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Workflow coordination and administrative support
• Regularly undertakes a broad variety of administrative tasks to help organize and facilitate work among staff members including managing the events calendar, arranging meetings, organizing and compiling materials, coordinating catering, and processing expense claims and invoices for payment in a timely manner.
• Assist the Research Director with calendar management, student and faculty communications, and collaboration with our academic and government partners.
• Assist the Vice President, Industry and Innovation with sponsor outreach, communications, event invitations and event attendance tracking.
• Draft and format content, proofread copy, and manage online postings and coordination of applications for Vector’s job boards and program postings.
• Manage correspondence and coordinate responses to incoming inquiries and requests, as appropriate.
• Perform other administrative and business functions as required, which may involve providing support to members of the leadership team and related work streams.
Event coordination and logistics support
• Coordinate event series and standalone events including but not limited to: day-long workshops highlighting cutting-edge research being done at the Vector institute and by our academic and industry partners; meetings between sponsors and researchers to facilitate collaboration and knowledge-sharing; speaker series with our partners showcasing global research; coordinating with our partners at other institutions across to bring global talent to Toronto to share knowledge with the local research community.
• Connect with researchers worldwide to coordinate visits to Toronto, including booking flights, hotels, meals, and meetings.
• Coordinate catering and assess venues for appropriateness of hosting Vector events
Meetings and contacts management
• Coordinate internal and external meetings including but not limited to: operations meetings, research meetings, sponsor advisory board meetings, Vector board meetings, and meetings between Vector leadership and our partners in healthcare.
• Support building, implementing, and organizing a CRM framework and system (Insightly), populating the system with data (contact info, documents, relationships, etc.) and training other Vector staff on its use and maintenance.
• Provide contact metrics for reporting purposes, internal and external to Vector
• Communicate appropriate news and events to relevant Vector staff, faculty, and students.
• Work with the Senior Communications Lead to maintain consistency in all internal and external communications, branding, and events materials.
• Assist in the coordination of photography and/or video sessions, as appropriate.
PROFILE OF IDEAL CANDIDATE
• You either are currently or have previously been in an Administrative Coordinator role in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization where you are frequently called on to resolve multiple issues in a timely manner without formal procedures.
• You are adept at prioritizing conflicting needs, managing limited resources, handling matters expeditiously, and following projects through to successful completion, often with conflicting and undefined deadlines.
• You are creative and enjoy collaborating within a small entrepreneurial environment that is missiondriven, results-driven, and laser-focused on the growth of machine learning and artificial intelligence talent in Canada.
• You have exceptional verbal and written English communication skills.
• You possess a university degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• You are comfortable working with a wide range of clients and protocols, e.g. leadership teams, operations staff, students, and vendors, providing all with a trusted, respectful point of contact.
• You have some experience working in academic environments, with independent and non-hierarchical behaviour, and with student informality and possible inattention to instructions.
• You have strong problem-solving skills with an attention for detail and possess the ability to actively manage and minimize issues before they arise.
• You are proficient in Microsoft Office and the Google Suite of services. Experience with the Insightly CRM platform is not necessary but direct experience with either Insightly or similar platforms is considered an asset.
• You are a forward thinker who actively seeks out opportunities and proposes solutions.
• You have a positive attitude, integrity, great character, a sense of humour, and bring positive energy and outlook to a corporate culture.
• You are motivated by continuous learning and a desire to make a difference in your environment, to continue to grow, and to take on new responsibilities.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Vanessa Dunne, Vector Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Administrative Coordinator.
THE VECTOR INSTITUTE
Vector will be a leader in the transformative field of artificial intelligence, excelling in machine and deep learning — an area of scientific, academic, and commercial endeavour that will shape our world over the next generation. We are building on Canada’s outstanding pool of globally recognized AI expertise by training, attracting and retaining more top researchers who want to lead the world in machine learning and deep learning research, while having the flexibility to work on commercial applications with companies or in their own start-ups.