The newly-formed Vector Institute for artificial intelligence in Toronto, Canada is seeking applications for a number of Vector Postdoctoral Fellow openings in areas related to machine learning and deep learning and their applications. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
The Fellow’s primary appointment will be in the Institute. The appointed candidate will be expected to work primarily with 1 – 2 members of the Institute, and will also be encouraged to: collaborate with other members of the Institute, engage in state-of-the-art research, publish at the highest international level, and contribute to the academic life and reputation of the Institute.
The Fellows will have freedom to propose work on research topics of their interest related to machine learning and deep learning. They will also have the opportunity to collaborate with one of the strongest collections of machine learning and deep learning faculty in the world.
The appointed candidates will have the opportunity to engage in entrepreneurial activities and work with existing companies, and to teach and mentor at the Institute.
- The Institute is putting in place: staff dedicated to facilitating all aspects of industrial activities, including consulting, collaboration, and the development of new start-ups
- extensive computing resources available and access to datasets for the research faculty
- a team of professional software engineers who will help improve research productivity through software platform development, ensuring research reproducibility, publishing open source code and data, and in readying code for commercial use.
The standard term for a Vector Postdoctoral Fellow will be 1 – 2 years, possibly extended to three years.
Located in the MaRS Discovery District, the Vector Institute is a new addition to this world-class innovation hub which is home to myriad start-ups and innovation labs. In the heart of downtown Toronto, Vector is adjacent to the University of Toronto, with convenient access to transit.
Who Should Apply?
We are looking for people with interests across a broad spectrum, from core machine learning or deep learning research to more applied and entrepreneurial activities. We are also looking for people who have excelled in other areas and are interested in moving into deep learning or machine learning more broadly.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or in a related field
- A strong publication record in deep learning or machine learning, or relevant applications, with primary author articles in high-impact conferences and journals
- Expertise in a core area of machine learning, including but not limited to deep, unsupervised, and reinforcement learning, optimization, and theory; and/or one or more areas related to applied machine learning, including but not limited to natural language, health, vision, robotics, medicine, biology, systems, transportation, media and finance.
The Vector Institute
- The Vector Institute for artificial intelligence is a newly-formed research institute in Toronto, located in the MaRS Discovery District, supported with funding from the provincial and federal governments as well as Canadian industry.
- The Institute’s mission is to be a world-leading center for machine learning research and applications. We aim to push research into new domains and scientific discoveries. We also want to foster new applications, successful start-ups, and scale-ups. A primary aim is to graduate more AI talent, in response to the demand from industry in Toronto, Ontario, and Canada in general.
- The Institute is an independent non-profit entity, with Members and Affiliates from the University of Toronto and other Ontario universities.
The application must include the following:
- a cover letter, including identifying a member of Vector as a primary contact
- a curriculum vitæ
- links to at least three recent publications
- a research statement outlining a proposed program of research
- three letters of recommendation, which should be sent directly to the Institute by the referees.
All application materials should be mailed to: email@example.com
The Hiring Committee will review applications on an ongoing basis.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. The Vector Institute encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including women, members of visible minorities, indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.