- Machine learning
- Deep learning
- Unsupervised learning
- Generative modelling
- Computer vision
- Hardware acceleration
- Time series forecasting
Graham Taylor is a Professor of Engineering at the University of Guelph, a Canada CIFAR AI Chair, an Academic Director of NextAI, Interim Research Director and a Faculty Member of the Vector Institute for Artificial Intelligence. His research spans a number of topics in deep learning. He is interested in open problems such as how to effectively learn with less labeled data, and how to build human-centred AI systems. He is interested in methodologies such as generative modelling, graph representation learning and sequential decision making. He also pursues applied projects with global impact: such as using computer vision to mitigate biodiversity loss. He co-organizes the annual CIFAR Deep Learning Summer School, and has trained more than 80 students and staff members on AI-related projects.
- Co-founded Kindred, which was featured at number 29 on MIT Technology Review’s 2017 list of smartest companies in the world and CB Insights AI 100 list, highlighting the most innovative artificial intelligence companies for 2018. The Narwhal List (University of Toronto Impact Centre) named it as the 9th fastest growing technology company in Canada. In 2018, Kindred received a Canadian Innovation Award in the Manufacturing & Robotics category. Kindred was acquired by the Ocado group in 2020.
- Holds a Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Machine Learning.
- Founded and co-directs the University of Guelph Centre for Advancing Responsible and Ethical Artificial Intelligence (AI).
- Serves as Senior Area Chair at premiere machine learning conferences: Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS) and the International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML). Serves as Area Chair at the International Conference on Learning Representations.
- Awarded Canada’s Top 40 under 40 (2019), an annual recognition of the exceptional achievements of outstanding, young Canadian leaders.
- Appointed as Google Visiting Faculty (2018-2019).
- Honoured as CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar (2016). Award is based on research excellence and leadership.
Research Activity and News
- Parameter Prediction for Unseen Deep Architectures (w/ First Author Boris Knyazev)
- Vector Blog: Technology, including AI, increasingly plays a key role in our food chain
- Vector Blog: Machine Learning Model from Vector researchers creates 3D environments without reference images
- CIFAR News: AI in biodiversity research crucial to our survival
- CIFAR News: Building a fly brain in a computer
- CIFAR Azrieli Global Scholar Profile: How Graham Taylor champions AI innovation & entrepreneurship
- Borealis AI Northern Frontier: In conversation with Prof. Graham Taylor
- Podcast: Learning to Learn, and other Opportunities in Machine Learning with Graham Taylor
- Guelph Life: The Human Side of Machine Learning